ITC 240 Week 7 Activities

This week’s new topic was MySQL.  Monday was the President’s Day Holiday.  On Wednesday, we accessed our personal websites.  We made some changes to settings through the admin panel of Dreamhost.  We downloaded code for Adminer and placed it in the root directory of our websites.  We set up and returned data from a MySQL database, which was very cool.

Time: 2.25 hours

My codingdawg.com domain was registered on 1 and 1 and had not been pointed to Dreamhost’s servers, so I completed this task and confirmed that the change was made at 1 and 1.  I completed A8) Adminer assignment.

Time: .25 hours

On Saturday, I read the assigned information about MySQL, learning about its creation and development.  I posted answers to the Discussion questions and added a comment to another post.

Time: 1.00 hours

 

ITC 240 Week 6 Activities

This week’s classes covered troubleshooting PHP code and creating formhandlers.

Time: 4.50 hours

The discussion was about Web Trivia.  I found a great article that had numerous trivia facts:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/09/history-internet/ (Links to an external site.)

Researched the computer wabbit virus, which is a type of fork bomb in which each copy replicates itself into two more copies.  The process continues until a system’s resources are shut down.  I was amazed at how little code is necessary to create a virus.

I provided a comment on the discussion.

Time: 1.00 hours

Today, I read through the interesting comments on the Web Trivia discussion and researched the use of mySQL vs. MS SQL Server.  But I decided to pursue information regarding Oracle’s ownership of the open source mySQL product and added a comment to the discussion.

Time: 1.25 hours

Studied and worked on A7: Email Formhandlers.  Completed the assignment, but need to work on the extra credit portion.

Time: 4.50 hours

Completed the Lynda.com video assignment V4: Troubleshooting, GET and POST.  I was reminded that in setting a header for a web page redirect, that there should be no space before the header, unless output buffering is enabled on the web server.  I discovered this issue for myself the hard way, unfortunately.

Time: 3.00 hours

Early in the week, Professor Bill Newman noted that he was unable to access the assignment link I had provided on a a google doc.  Surely enough, some of the links on the Staging Area worked, but most did not.  This is like actually having the dog eat your homework.

I deleted each and every link on the Staging Area page and added them back.  Then I resubmitted the page on Canvas, shut down google drive, and accessed the page from Canvas.  The same exact result occurred.  This is fishy…some links work, some don’t, and recreating the links yields the same result.

I began to look for a commonality of the working links and also for the non-working links.  The working links were all on the far right hand side of rows which consisted of lists of multiple links.  No links that were followed by right hand links worked, unless there were multiple tab spaces separating them.

Eureka!  The problem is solved by placing each link on its own row.  A lesson is also learned…be very cautious in going free form on anything involving technology, regardless of how pretty the presentation may be.

Time: .75 hours

ITC 240 Activities

This week’s classes covered forms and troubleshooting.

Time: 4.50 hours

Read  and studied 07) POST & GET with Forms and 08) Troubleshooting.

Time: 1.00 hours

Completed Assignment 6: Troubleshooting, which presented us with PHP and html code for a web page that accepts two values in a form and then prints out a message with the sum.  I deconstructed the code and ran it in pieces so that I could isolate the errors.

1.25 hours

This week’s conversation was on the topic of spam. I  answered the assigned questions, read responses of classmates, and provided a comment.  I was glad to learn about the Spamhaus Project to combat the terrible waste of resources caused by spammers.  I’m looking forward to learning how to combat spam in web forms.

1.50 hours

 

Assignment 5: Dynamic Content

Assignment 5 involves using PHP to create dynamic web pages. In class, we created a config.php file that used conditionals to determine which page is being loaded in the browser.  The code then sets output specific to that page.  The assignment called for four pages, but we had completed two in class, so I added three pages. For extra credit, I added an image in the header of each page.

2.00 hours

ITC 240 Week 4 Assignments

This week’s class content consisted of information about arrays and dynamic web pages.

Time: 4.50 hours

I read the course information in 06) Arrays.

Time: .25 hours

This week’s Lynda.com videos were very interesting.  They have also assured me that if I should ever want to change my accent, then I have a head start with the British accent.

Time: 3.25 hours

This week’s discussion topic centered around the browser Opera and the company’s decision to abandon their Presto layout engine in favor of a fork of the Webkit engine.  I read the suggested materials and posted my answers to the questions posed, as well as provided an additional reply to another student’s post.

Time: 1.50 hours

I added my response to the extra credit discussion concerning preferred IDE’s after doing further research into the features of Notepad++.  I came back to the discussion to read other students’ comments and conduct some additional research into the coding environments and editors they had mentioned.  I added a comment about Sublime Text’s revenue model.

Time: 2.00 hours